Samriddhi Yojana – Details of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
In a gender-biased country like India where a female child is seen as a burden and liability on the family, the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is like a spell of rain which calms the mental turmoil of the parents/guardians, worrying about the future of their girl child. The Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme was launched as a part of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign by the Modi government on January 22, 2015 after witnessing the subjugating conditions of the girl children in the country. Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a savings scheme formulated to benefit the parents of the girl children. The scheme inspires the parents/guardians to accumulate funds in the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account from the time of the birth of their girl child for the purpose of their education and marriage.
The innovative Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana not only envisages the financial security for every girl child living in the Indian households but also contributes towards making them financially independent. With this scheme, the phrase ‘Boond boond se sagar bharta hai’ has got its true essence. Now, the parents are relieved as they will be able to save big and small amounts of money as per their convenience for the future of their girl child. On maturity, they will have a good sum of money to give a nice future to her. So far, more than 1.26 crore accounts have been opened under this scheme, with assured amount of Rs. 19,183 crores.
Sukanya Samriddhi Account Yojana Details: Features
pen this Account?: A Sukanya Samriddhi Account can only be opened by the parent/legal guardian for a maximum of two female children. An exemption is provided by presenting a medical certificate from an authorized medical institution for twins and triplets.
2. Age Criteria: A Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account can only be opened for a girl child anywhere between her birth and 10 years of age.
3. Residential Status: This account can only be opened for a girl child who is a resident of India. This Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is unavailable for a girl child having non-resident status. Even if the parents or the legal guardians are non-residents, then also this scheme will not be available to them.
If the girl child becomes a non-resident after opening this Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account, then this change should be intimated to the concerned post office/bank within 1 month of such change after which the account gets closed.
in the Name of the Girl Child: Sukanya Samriddhi Account must always be opened in the name of a girl child and not in the name of her parents or legal guardians. They will only deposit an amount in the account on behalf of the minor girl child.
5. Single Account per Girl Child: A single parent/legal guardian can open only one account for every girl child in the family. A maximum of two accounts for two girl children can be opened in one family.
6. Where to Open this Account: This account is opened in the authorized branches of Post Offices or commercial banks like State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, Punjab National Bank, Bank of India, Canara Bank, Andhra Bank, UCO Bank, and Allahabad Bank, to name a few.
7. Documents Required: There are certain documents required to open this Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account-
- Birth certificate of the girl child
- Address and identity proof of the depositor( parents or the legal guardians)-Aadhaar card, PAN card, passport, ration card, driving license.
- In the case of twins or triplets, a medical certificate proving the order of birth of children.
- A certificate stating the nature of a relationship with the girl child. In cases where this account is opened by the biological parents of the girl child, the birth certificate will serve the requirement of this certificate. But in the case of the adopted girl child, this certificate becomes necessary.
8. A Threshold of Deposits: Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 250 per account. The minimum amount of annual deposit required is also Rs. 250 from July 6, 2018 onwards. A maximum annual limit on the amount of deposit to this account has been set at Rs.1.50 lakhs per account. There is no limit on the number of times deposits in a month or a fiscal year can be made.
The cheque or the demand draft should be in the name of the-
For Banks/Financial institutions- Concerned Bank Manager
For Post Office-Concerned Postmaster
The parent or the guardian is required to write the girl child’s name and the account number on the back of the cheque or draft while making the payment of deposit.
- Account Transferability: The option to transfer the Sukanya Samriddhi Account from post office to post office, bank to bank, post office to the bank, and bank to post office on furnishing certain documents.
- Penalty: A penalty of Rs.50 will be imposed if there is a failure in meeting the minimum deposit requirements.
- A rate of Interest: The scheme is currently offering a rate of interest of 8.5% for 2019-20. This interest is compounded on yearly basis.
- The Maximum Duration of Deposit: The maximum duration for which a parent/guardian is required to deposit an amount in this Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account is 15 years. After the end of this duration, no more money is required to be deposited to this account and it will continue to accumulate interest until it matures/closed.
- Closure of Account: This account gets closed after it attains maturity after completing the tenure of 21 years. However, the money lying in this account including the interest can be paid to girl child after attaining 18 years of age and on submission of an account closure application along with address and identity proof, proof of residence and citizenship. Partial withdrawal is also allowed after the girl child attains 18 years of age, for education or marriage expenses.
- Taxation Aspects: The total maturity amount and the interest earned on this account is fully exempted from taxation under section 80C of Income Tax Act 1961 and follows Exempt-Exempt-Exempt (EEE) tax regime. As of now, an amount up to Rs. 1.5 lakh is exempted on annual deposits.
- Tenure of Account: This savings account remains active for a maximum period of 21 years from the date of opening of this account, after which the account stops to accrue any interest.
How to Open this Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account?
The parents or the legal guardians of a girl child can open Sukanya Samriddhi Account in the government approved post offices or authorized branches of the commercial banks. The procedure is easy and simple. It can be opened online as well, or through an offline method.
Sukanya Samriddhi Details :
Procedure to Open Sukanya Samriddhi Account
S. No. With Financial Institutions (Online) With Financial Institutions (Offline) With Post Offices
1 Go onto the official site of your desired bank where you want to open this account and click on the link related to Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme. Visit the nearest branch of the desired bank/financial institution and fill out the SSY registration form. Visit the nearest branch of the post office and fill out the registration form.
2 Fill the application form with the details of the girl child and the information regarding the parents/legal guardians shall be provided, wherever necessary. Fill the application form with the details of the girl child and the information regarding the parents/legal guardians shall be provided, wherever necessary. Fill the application form with the details of the girl child and the information regarding the parents/legal guardians shall be provided, wherever necessary.
3 For the verification of the details filled in the form, provide your Aadhaar number, the birth certificate, PAN card, the address proof, and relationship certificate. With this form, documents like Aadhaar number, the birth certificate, PAN card, the address proof, and relationship certificate shall be attached which will be verified by the agents of these banks. Attach the requisite documents like Aadhaar number, the birth certificate, PAN card, the address proof, and relationship certificate
4 After complete filing, the application form, click on “Submit”. After successful completion of the verification, this account is opened and the parents/guardian will be given a passbook. After successful completion of the verification, this account is opened and the parents/guardian will be given a passbook.
5 After the successful submission of the form, the person is required to make the payment of the minimum deposit of Rs. 250 to activate this Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account. Make the payment through net banking or by depositing this amount at the nearest branch by cash, cheque or draft. The person is required to make the payment of the minimum deposit amount of Rs. 250 to activate this account. This payment may be made by way of cash, cheque, or draft. The person is required to make the payment of the minimum deposit amount of Rs. 250 to activate this account. This payment may be made by way of cash, cheque, or draft.
6 Once the account is activated, you will receive a notification stating the same via SMS. For this provides your active mobile number in the form. Once the Sukanya Samriddhi Account is activated, you will receive a notification stating the same via SMS. For this provides your active mobile number in the form.
Transferability of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
The Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account can be easily transferred from one post office to another, from one bank to another bank, or even from a post office to a bank as and when you require. The procedure is as follows:-
Visit the bank or the post office where you are currently holding the Sukanya Samriddhi Account with your passbook and KYC documents. There is no need to take the girl child along with you until she herself is managing the account.
Inform the post office or the bank branch about the transfer of your account.
Write an application in the name of the postmaster or the bank manager stating the reason for the transfer. This should contain the details of the account holder, the name and address of the bank/post office where the account is proposed to be transferred.
Surrender your current passbook with the post office or the bank.
After the verification, the account will the closed by the post office/bank and it will provide the depositor with the requisite documents including the demand draft with the account balance, required to be submitted to the new post office/bank.
Then visit the new branch of post office/bank and submit these documents.
A new passbook will be issued by the new post office/bank containing all the personal details of the depositor and the balance of amount from the last account.
Usually, the amount of this account can only be withdrawn after the maturity period of 21 years but there are certain provisions which allow the withdrawal of this deposit amount from this account before the expiry of this period.
The money from the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account can be withdrawn before the expiry of the maturity period of 21 years. Only the girl child is eligible to withdraw this amount from the account after attaining the age of 18 years. Only 50% of the amount is permitted to be withdrawn for the purpose of paying fees for the higher education, if the girl child is 18 years of age or has completed 10th standard and to get an admission in an educational institution. The Sukanya Samriddhi Account should have a deposit of at least 14 years or more.
When is Premature Closure of Account Allowed?
Marriage of girl child: If the marriage of the girl child, for whom the account was opened, has been fixed by the parents/guardians after she turned 18, then the depositors are required to submit an application before one month of marriage or after three months of marriage with the age proof of the girl child.
Death of Girl Child: The Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account gets closed if the girl child for whom the account was opened passes away. The parent/guardian is required to show her death certificate to the bank after which the account balance will be transferred.
Girl child becomes NRI: If there is a change in the residential status of the girl child in relation to whom the account was opened, then this information should be communicated to the bank or post office wherever the account is held within one month.
In cases of emergency: The Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account can also be closed by the bank or post office after the completion of five years if maintaining this account is causing a lot of trouble to the girl child due to situations like guardian or parent’s death or medical emergency.
Banks offering Sukanya Samriddhi Account Yojana
Find IFSC Code Of Any Bank
State Bank of India Punjab & Sind Bank Vijaya Bank
United Bank of India Syndicate Bank Central Bank of India
Corporation Bank UCO Bank. Indian Bank
ICICI Bank Axis Bank Canara Bank
Oriental Bank of Commerce IDBI Bank Dena Bank
Indian Overseas Bank Bank of India HDFC Bank
Bank of Maharashtra Bank of Baroda Allahabad Bank